High Security Registration Number Plates no doubt is a good idea to curb the mischievous acts of the law breakers. It addresses many problems from theft of the vehicles to many other crimes. Above all Supreme Court is keen on implementation of the system.
But the number plates are to be manufactured by a private agency. That is where a hasty or an oversight or a deviation has taken place!
The former Chief Secretary of the State Minnie Mathew put up a note against allotting the contract to Utsav Safety Systems that joined with Link Point Infrastructures to get the contract of the HSRN plates. The note put up by her before her retirement was totally ignored by the Government.
The allegations against Utsav Safety Systems are as follows:
1. The Power of Attorney submitted by the company has no validity.
2. The HSRN plates sold by the company to other states are duplicate ones with inferior quality.
3. The company has not submitted adequate bank guarantees.
4. Anti Theft Registration Number Plates supplied by the company under the name of HSRN plates were not approved by the consumers.
5. UP has already cancelled its contract with the company,
6. The facts were concealed by Utsav Safety Systems.
In view of all the above, Minnie Mathew suggested that the Finance and Transport Ministries of the State also should reconsider the contract that is going to be accorded to Utsav.
The file on the HSRN plates was sent to Finance Minister’s office by the Chief Secretary of Transport Ministry on April 27. At the same time the note of Minnie Mathew also reached Finance Minister’s office. But the note did not muster importance due to the reasons known to the respective authorities. The Transport Ministry explained Minnie Mathew that the information about cancellation of the contracts by other states was not informed by APSRTC.
In addition to it, it was also declared that there are no complications in awarding the contract to Utsav as Advocate General gave his opinion.
At last the contract was awarded to Utsav to supply HSRN plates ignoring court orders and decisions of other states. The Utsav Safety Systems also declared recently that it is withdrawing from the consortium with Link Point Infrastructures. But that too did not make any impact on the Government!