Lamington is an Australian dessert recipe consists of sponge cake coated first in a layer of chocolate sauce and then desiccated coconut. It is one of the delicious cake recipe loved by all kids. It can be specially prepared for birthday parties, morning and afternoon teas. The sponge cake dipped in chocolate icing gives wonderful look and taste. Here is the simple preparation of Aussie Chocolate coconut cake.
150g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
250g plain flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
450g icing sugar
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 (200g) packages desiccated cocon
1. Preheat oven to 1900 C.
2. Take 20x30cm rectangular baking tin, grease and flour it.
3. Take a large bowl and cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until light fluffy.
4. Take previously greased baking tin and pour this mixture into it.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
6. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Store overnight to give the cake a chance to firm up before icing.
7. Icing preparation: In a large bowl, combine icing sugar and cocoa. In a saucepan, heat milk and 1 tablespoon butter until the butter is melted. Add the milk to the sugar mixture and mix well to create a fluid, but not too runny, icing.
8. Cut the cake into 24 squares. Place coconut in a shallow container. Using a fork, dip each square into the icing, then roll it in the coconut. Place onto a cooling rack to dry. Continue for each piece. The icing will drip, so place a sheet of paper under the rack to catch the drips.