According to WHO (World Health Organisation), an average adult should consume less than 5gm or 1 teaspoon of table salt per day. People with high blood pressure should limit to 1.5 mg per day. Studies have shown on an average a person consumes around 8.5 to 9 gm salt per day.
Here are 5 low sodium foods one can include in their daily life.
1) Barley water: High in insoluble fiber, it helps in cutting down blood cholesterol levels and decreases the risk of developing heart disease.
2) Pear Juice: Rich in fiber, pears contain a fair amount of vitamins - C, K, B2, B3, and B6. Quercetin is another antioxidant found in the skin of pears. It's beneficial for cancer prevention and can help reduce blood pressure.
3) Coconut water: It will help you beat the heat and fight disease. Coconut water is full of nutrition. It will help you lose weight and keep you hydrated. It is also known for reducing blood pressure and hence it is recommended to start your day with a glass of coconut water.
4) Bitter gourd: Karela, a vegetable used as a food as well as a medicine. Apart from being beneficial to diabetics, it’s a low sodium food too. Bitter gourd also has glowing effect on skin, helps in weight loss and increases your immunity.
5) Brinjal/ Eggplant: Cholesterol levels can be regulated and reduced by brinjal (baingan). It also stabilizes the level of blood pressure and reduces the risk of heart diseases.
BY M.DIVYA SRI