Reliance Jio To Withdraw 3 Months Complimentary Offer After TRAI AdvisoryApril 07, 2017 10:23
The Telecom Regulatory authority of India (TRAI), today has ordered Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio, to withdraw their three-month complimentary offer, under its Jio Summer Surprise scheme.
Under the scheme, Jio was offering an unlimited data usage, and free calls on payment of minimum Rs 303.
The order came, days after Jio announced that it has recorded 72 million users, and is extending its one-time Rs 99payment membership programme, “Jio Prime”, for 15 more days, until April 15.
The company said, it accepts the TRAI’s decision, and is in the process of fully complying with the regulators advice. Previously, TRAI, had found nothing wrong with its extended promotional offers of free data and voice. This, in fact, helped Jio account for100 million customers. Of these, at lease 72 million had opted for paid services.
Jio, which is known for its disruptive offers and services, said, “it will withdraw the three months complimentary benefits of Jio Summer Surprise, as soon as operationally feasible, over the next days.”
However, the company said, all customers who have subscribed to the complimentary offer, prior to its discontinuation, will remain eligible for the offer.
On March 31, Jio announced its Summer Surprise Offer, under which all Prime members, making their first recharge payment of Rs 303 (or higher) plans, will enjoy complimentary services for first three months, and that subscribers will be charged for services from July.
Earlier, Reliance Jio, had launched a free voice and data plan, and had extended it till March 31, 2017. Currently, it has over 100 million customers.