( Page 1 of 3989 )

List View Grid View Latest Articles from

PM Modi Greets Nation on the Ocassion of Navratri October 01, 2016 09:46

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday extended his greetings to the nation on the auspicious occasion of Navratri. "My greetings to everyone as the auspicious Navratri commences," Prime Minister Modi tweeted. Navaratri is a festival dedicated to the worship of the Hindu deity Durga. The word Navaratri means 'nine nights' in Sanskrit, nava meaning nine and ratri meaning nights. During these nine nights and ten days, nine forms of Devi are worshipped. The tenth day is commonly referred to as Vijayadashami or "Dussehra". Navaratri is an important major festival and is celebrated all over India and Nepal. Diwali the festival of lights is celebrated twenty days after Dasera. This year Navratri will be celebrated for 10 days. The festival will culminate on October 11 with Dussehra celebrations. Meanwhile, Navratri celebrations began in Gujarat. The state government has organized vibrant Gujarat Navratri Mahotsav, a garba festival at GMDC Ground in Ahmedabad. Thousands of devotees are reaching at the temples of Ashapura Mata at Mata na Madh in Kutch, Ambaji Mata temple in North Gujarat and Bahuchraji Mata Temple in Central Gujarat. Garba and Dandiya groups have also been organized during this Navratri festival. Chief Minnister Vijay Rupani will inaugurate the Vibrant Gujarat Navratri Mahotsav at Ahmedabad this evening. Navratri is known for its ancient, traditional and modern garba and dandiya in Gujarat hugely participated by young generation. In Himachal Pradesh, the devotees in large number are reaching at historical temples since morning on the beginning of Ashwin or Sharad Navratras from today. They are paying obeisance before various forms of Goddess Durga while special Puja and Havan Yagya have also begun in temples.During the Navratras, thousands of devotees are expected to visit historical temples in the state. Therefore, the district administrations, especially in three districts Kangra, Bilaspur and Una have made elaborate arrangements to facilitate devotees. ALSO READ: Navraatri's importance in our lives BY M. DIVYA SRI

Read More

IMD Reports Heavy Rains for Next 2 Days October 01, 2016 09:25

One week after rains subsided in Telangana,  India Meteorological Department (IMD) has again given warning of heavy rain in the State over the next two days. The weather agency said "heavy rain is likely to occur in Adilabad, Nizamabad, Karimnagar, Warangal, Nalgonda and Khammam. According to IMD meteorologists, upper air circulation and influx of moisture combined with warm day temperatures is expected to facilitate cloud formation over the next few days." The IMD also said "the warning could be revised to include Hyderabad and southern Telangana if the weather system witnesses any changes. The State received near-record rainfall last month due to two spells of downpour. Changes in wind patterns across the country have also delayed withdrawal of monsoon from western India, which is not expected to take place in the State until the second week of October." On the other hand moderate rain lashed several places in the district late in the afternoon on Friday inundating low-lying areas. Cool weather prevailed over the district during the day with a cloudy sky. Meanwhile, the inflows into the Sri Ram Sagar Project increased and forced officials to lift 26 out of 42 gates. They were releasing 1.25 lakh cusecs into the river and about 20,000 cusecs into the irrigation canals. ALSO READ: Heavy Rainfall for Next 24 Hrs in AP & TS: IMD BY M. DIVYA SRI

Read More

I hope 'Mostly Sunny' doesn't come to India: Sunny Leone October 01, 2016 09:18

Bollywood actress Sunny Leone has recently commented on the release of her upcoming documentary on her life, 'Mostly Sunny'. She sais "I hope Mostly Sunny doesn't come to India. Because it's not my story. It is somebody else's opinion, somebody else's vision." The actress is against the release as she feels it does not do justice to her story. 'Mostly Sunny' charts the life of Leone, born Karenjit Kaur Vohra in Sarnia, Ontario, from her childhood in a conservative Sikh family to her shift to Los Angeles, her emergence as one of the biggest adult movie stars in the world and her subsequent mainstream movie career breakthrough in Bollywood. Leone told PTI in an exclusive interview that "I hope it doesn't come to India. Because that's not the story that is mine. This is somebody else's opinion, somebody else's vision. No one has a right to tell your life story except for you." "It's not a biopic made in my life where you can manipulate and say what you want. It is not like you are appealing to cinematic liberty. This is somebody's life. This is my life, I take it very personally," she added. The director of the  documentary, Dilip Mehta  recently premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival, which Leone didn't attend citing a family function. Mehta said, "was surprised that Leone developed cold feet before the Toronto premiere and the actress wanted certain changes in the documentary." When asked about this, Leone said, "It's really simple, at the end of the day, it's my personal story. I surrendered to his vision but when it got to my story, how it looks and the story that is actually told... In my view, no one in this entire world has the right to say how my life should be told." "I am the one telling the story, it is my life. There were certain things I didn't like and I wanted it (the documentary) to be for many people to watch, not just one age group. I don't see my story as a sob story, where something went wrong. That's not my story," the actress said. Also READ: Sunny Leone Biopic on Cards BY M. DIVYA SRI

Read More

Villagers near LoC Stranded; Lack Govt Support October 01, 2016 09:05

As India is celebrating the Indian army’s surgical strikes against Pakistan, thousands of villagers near the Line of Control who were ordered by the government to vacate are upset. This is because of lack of government support in the evacuation. The villagers also fear for the safety of their homes and property. Local residents in Punjab’s Attari sector said: "we feel abandoned by the local administration with little support in getting transportation or choosing possible destinations, more than 24 hours after the government announced the evacuation of villages in border areas." “No government officer has reached the village. Just an announcement was made. I sent my children and wife. I am staying back to ensure my house is safe,” said Angrej Singh, a resident of Daoke village that is meters away from the LoC fence. Two-thirds of the village’s 3,000 people have left. They added that they are forced to carry their luggage and call up relatives for asylum as the local administration’s promises of tents, shelters, and transport which hasn’t come through. The evacuation was ordered as relations between New Delhi and Islamabad crash following the army’s announcement of surgical strikes against “terror launchpads” in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, amid fears of retaliation by the neighboring country. The affected villages are within 10 km of the India-Pakistan border in the districts of Amritsar, Tarn Taran, Gurdaspur, Pathankot, Fazilka and Ferozepur. The authorities are making alternative arrangements for about 15 lakh people likely to be displaced in the six districts. Many families have sent the women and children away but the men are staying back to ward off thieves, often standing in fields with swords to guard their property. "We were informed about the tactical strike on Thursday morning after which we started the evacuation process. The Union home secretary has informed us of the possibility of retaliation. We have activated the state disaster management committee," Punjab chief minister Parkash Singh Badal said. “Anyone can take an advantage of such a situation. People in border villages are under stress and thefts will break them. People are worried of their houses, cattle, and crop,” said Saab Singh of Daoke. “We did not sleep. We stood in the villages with swords in hand all night,” said Kashmir Kaur of Daoke. In addition, many fear that widespread looting may break out soon if police and officials don’t arrive to direct the evacuation efforts. “The government says leave but what about our belongings? How much can we carry? Anyone can break into our home and loot,” said Sukhdev Singh of Mode village. But the administration has rebuffed the allegations, saying it needs some time before informing villagers about the location of shelters and arranging transport. “We are on the job and have already identified places for shelters that will be operational by Friday evening,” said deputy commissioner Varun Roojam. “”We are very serious and for transportation 20 buses have been taken. Tie up has been done with the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabhandhak Committee for food.” Transport has emerged as a major problem and many say people with no relatives in faraway places have nowhere to go. “People are making their own arrangements to leave. What about those with no relatives in cities? How do they go if they don’t have own transport? Public transport does not reach here,” said Surjit Singh, a resident of Mullakot village, which was captured by Pakistan in the 1971 war. Dyal Singh, who had gone to evacuate his daughter Baljit Kaur from Daoke, said he had arranged everything by himself. The Border Security Force said it was on high alert and didn’t let farmers go near the LoC fence. “We do not know when this order stays. But till that time, we are asked to stay away from the fence,” said villager Harjap Singh in Daoke. Sources in the Army's Western Command said "the evacuation was a precautionary measure. It was not that they had received specific information about a retaliatory strike from Pakistan but they are not ruling out mortar shelling from across the border. By afternoon, there was already a sense of urgency in the villages." Also READ: India-Pak N-war: 21 mn may die, half of ozone layer will vanish BY M. DIVYA SRI

Read More

US widow sues Saudi Arabia over 9/11 terror attack October 01, 2016 04:44

A woman widowed when her husband was killed at the Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001 sued the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia just two days after Congress enacted legislation allowing Americans to sue foreign governments for allegedly playing a role in terrorist attacks on US soil. Stephanie Ross DeSimone alleged the kingdom provided material support to al Qaeda and its leader, Osama bin Laden, in a complaint filed Friday at a US court in Washington. Her suit is also filed on behalf of the couple’s daughter. DeSimone was pregnant when Navy Commander Patrick Dunn was killed. DeSimone, who is suing for wrongful death and intentional infliction of emotional distress, is seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages. Fifteen of the 19 men who hijacked airliners used in the attack were Saudi nationals. One jet struck the Pentagon, seat of the US military, two destroyed the World Trade Center’s twin towers in New York while another crashed in a Pennsylvania field as its passengers fought back against the hijackers. The Saudi embassy didn’t immediately reply to an e-mailed message seeking comment on the suit.The case is DeSimone v. Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 16-cv-1944, US District Court, District of Columbia (Washington).

Read More

4 IMAX screens, 40 multiplexes: Vijayawada to be SPICinemas - 500Cr October 01, 2016 03:54

SPI Cinemas is a leading player in the entertainment industry with brands such as nds such as Sathyam, Escape and Palazzo, is gearing up to do something gigantic in Vijayawada. In the new State of Andhra Pradesh, it's going to invest as much as Rs. 500 cr - an investment that will have positive implications for the State. The news is that  SPI Cinemas has got the approvals to build 4 IMAX screens and 40 multiplexes in the city. In 2009, SPI Cinemas announced its entry into motion picture production with the Tamil movie, Thiru Thiru Thuru Thuru. The 2nd production under the banner was Nootrenbadhu (180) in 2011. SPI Cinemas currently operates close to 35 (Sathyam, Escape, Palazzo, thecinema, S2 Theyagaraja and S2 Perambur) screens and is poised to operate over 50 screens by early 2017. SPI Cienmas Escape, Chennai's first luxury multiplex is a visual treat apart from being a top notch entertainment destination.

Read More

Puri Sings Two Songs For ISM September 30, 2016 18:14

Director Puri's upcoming film, ISM is going to be released soon and the promotions of it has already been started. The audio track list of the film has been already out and interestingly director Puri has sung two songs for the movie. However, the audio album has not been released till now. Puri’s two songs are just few line or are the entire songs will only be confirmed once the film’s audio album is released. Meanwhile, film’s promo is creating a lot of buzz and the lead actor Kalyan Ram’s six packs have been rolling high as the people are liking his look. By Prajakt K.

Read More

Rs. 265 Crore Assets Seized In IT Raid From A Top TDP MLA September 30, 2016 16:53

A TDP legislator DK Satyaprabha, wife of late Adhikesavula Naidu, has received a shock as assets worth of Rs. 265 crore has been seized from various places that she owns around the country, according to the reports. IT Department has released a press note, after the raiding Vydehi and Mallya Hospital in the capital, saying Rs. 265 crore worth assets have been seized on charges of tax evasion. Reports said that Rs. 43 crore have been seized from her educational institutions. Raids have been conducted in Goa and Karnataka as well. Reports added, that the NGOs run by Satyaprabha have accepted donations in big numbers. Several documents have also been seized from the MLA related to the properties and and the authorities have also exposed the irregularities in the medical colleges run by her. The IT Department, now, has ordered DK Satyaprabha to submit the details of Income Tax returns for the past 13 years. By Prajakt K.

Read More

Salman Khan Defends Pak Actors; Says 'They are not Terrorists' September 30, 2016 16:11

Bollywood Dabang, Salman Khan defended all Pakistani actors who have been facing severe criticism. This ban came soon after the Uri attack on an army camp in Jammu and Kashmir leading to the death of 19 security forces. Earlier on Thursday, the Indian Motion Pictures Association (IMPA) banned all Pakistani actors, artists, and technicians from working in Indian movies. After all the Pakistani actors like Fawad Khan in Bollywood were the boycott , Salman said,”They are artists, not terrorists. It’s the government who gives them permits and visas.”Even all the films starring Pakistani stars - Karan Johar’s 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' and Shah Rukh Khan’s 'Raees - to release' were also being banned. Reacting to Indian Army’s surgical strikes, Salman Khan said,”Terrorists the no? Proper action that (They were terrorists, right? It was the proper action).”Writing an open letter to Bollywood producers and production houses it asked them not  to rope in actors from the neighboring country when enough talent is available in India. VIDEO (Video Source: Times Now) Also Read: Pak Actor Hamza Ali Abbasi Calls for Ban on Bollywood BY M. DIVYA SRI

Read More

Sri Lanka Will Not Attend SAARC 2016 Summit September 30, 2016 16:00

After Prime Minister Narendra modi Announced on Tuesday that India will not participate in SAARC 2016, Summit which is going to be held in Islamabad two days later Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Bhutan too decided to pull out of the summit.Now in the latest update, even Sri Lanka on Friday announced that it is pulling out.“Regret that prevailing environment in region is not conducive for holding 19th SAARC Summit in Islamabad on 9th & 10th November. General Provisions of SAARC Charter require decisions at all levels shall be taken on the basis of unanimity and this applies to the convening of meetings of Heads of State or Government of SAARC Member States as well,” a statement from the Sri Lankan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. Without naming Pakistan, Sri Lanka also attacked the country over the issue of terrorism. “We condemn terrorism in all forms and stress in this regard need to deal with issue of terrorism in region in decisive manner,” the statement added.India pulled out of the summit, saying that the current atmosphere was not conductive for holding a successful summit; the same reason had been cited by all the other countries that followed suit.The Ministry of External Affairs had issued a statement, saying, "India has conveyed to current SAARC Chair Nepal that increasing cross-border terrorist attacks in the region and growing interference in the internal affairs of Member States by one country have created an environment that is not conducive to the successful holding of the 19th SAARC Summit in Islamabad in November 2016.""In the prevailing circumstances, the Government of India is unable to participate in the proposed Summit in Islamabad", the statement said. Also Read: Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Boycott SAARC SummitBY M. DIVYA SRI

Read More