This dal chicken is a hearty warming, flavorsome curry which will make you delighted. This particular dish is rich in protein and perfect for guest serving or main course item. Serve this with naan or roti. Follow this recipe.
- Chicken cut into small pieces -1 kilogram
- Red chili powder- 2 teaspoon
- Kashmiri chili powder- 4 teaspoon
- Whole urad dal-1/2 cup
- Masoor dal-1/2 cup
- Toor dal -1/2 cup
- Turmeric -2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Ghee- 2 tablespoon
- Chopped onion-2 cup
- Chopped tomatoes-1.5 cup
- Ginger garlic paste-3 tablespoon
- Lemon juice-3 tablespoon
- Chopped coriander leaves-1 cup
- Kasoori methi-1tablespoon
- Bay leaves- 3
- Asafoetida- 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon stick4
- Dry red chilies6
- Jeera/ cumin seeds3 tablespoon
- Star anise1
- Sliced garlic1 tablespoon
- Sliced ginger1 tablespoon
1. Wash the chicken and marinate the chicken with 2 teaspoons of spicy red chili powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 3 tablespoons of ginger garlic paste and 2.5 teaspoon of salt and marinate for at least 1 hour.
2. Wash and soak the whole urad, toor and masoor dal for at least 20 minutes.
3. Pressure cook for 20 min with sufficient water to cover the dal and set it aside.
4. Heat ghee in a pan and add asafoetida and the whole spices and saute for a few minutes.
5. Add sliced ginger and garlic and let the garlic brown slightly.
6. Add onion and once the onions begin to turn light brown in color then add in the tomatoes.
7. Add salt and turmeric powder and kashmiri chili powder.
8. Add chicken and mix everything well and cook on a low flame for half hour.
9. Add boiled dal and mix well and add lemon juice.
10. Add kasoori methi and let the curry come to a boil.
11. Add water if needed and stir frequently to prevent the dal from sticking to the bottom and cook till the chicken is well cooked.
12. Add cilantro/coriander leaves and stir and turn the flame off.
13. Serve hot with naan or basmati rice.