Amritsari Kulcha is a Punjabi recipe prepared with canola oil. It is a healthy recipe and can be prepared at your home by following the simple method of preparation mentioned below.
For the dough:
1 kg 200 gm refined flour
400 ml water (add more if needed) (kneed all together for pliable dough)
Pinch of salt (optional)
100 ml of canola oil
For the filling:
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 kg boiled potatoes, crushed
2 tsp roasted coriander seeds, crushed
2 tsp ginger, chopped
2-3 sprigs green coriander, chopped
1 green chilli, chopped
1 Tbsp anaar dana seed crushed
• Make a semi-firm dough with refined flour, water, salt and keep it covered with moist cloth for 1 hour in a cool place.
• Combine all filling ingredients, except canola oil, and gently fold together. Check seasoning.
• Dab some oil on your fingers and palms. Using them, make small balls (40-50 g each or size of medium potato) from dough and flatten to stuff with filling. Pack flattened dough with filling just enough to stuff and encase well.
• With a rolling pin, flatten wedges again.
• In a medium-hot, non-stick pan, brush wedges with canola oil and cook evenly on both sides. Serve wedges with coriander-mint chutney or curd (optional).