Indian-Origin Man In UK Convicted Of Child Sex Offences:- An Indian-origin man, identified as Prabhat Nelli is convicted of child sex offences by a UK Court on Wednesday.
The accused is one among the 18 people from Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Iraqi, Iranian and Turkish-origin men who is found guilty of involvement in a sex grooming network in the town of the Newcastle in north-east England.
The Newcastle Crown Court was told that the man before assaulting the vulnerable girls, plied them with drinks and drugs. Few of the girls among them were as young as 14. The juries in a series of four trails at the court, found the men guilty of a list of nearly 100 offences. The offences that the men committed range from rape, human trafficking, conspiracy to incite prostitution and drug supply between 2011 and 2014.
“This investigation all began after one initial police enquiry in December 2013, an enquiry which led to the significant uncovering of sexual abuse which was being hidden away in our community,” said Chief Constable Steve Ashman of Northumbria Police, which led inquiries to investigate claims of sexual abuse against girls and young women by mostly Asian men.
“By the end of January 2014, Operation Sanctuary was set up and we had already made nearly 30 arrests. To date we have arrested 461 people, spoken to 703 potential complainants and have found 278 victims. In total, we now have 93 convictions delivering more than 300 years of imprisonment in addition to today’s convictions,” Ashman said.
According to the police investigation presented in the court, the victims revealed some shocking facts. They said they had been raped, exploited or sexually abused while intoxicated by either drink or drugs, often both. Few times, the victims were so intoxicated that they were abused, while they were unconscious. The girls met the men through other friends and social media.
Eisa Mousavi, Mohammed Ali, Nashir Uddin, Monjur Choudhury, Taherul Alam, Habibur Rahim, Badrul Hussain, Carolann Gallon, Saiful Islam, AbdulHamid Minoyee, Abdul Sabe, Jahanger Zaman, Nadeem Aslam, Mohammed Azram, Yassar Hussain, Redwan Siddquee and Mohibur Rahman are the others convicted in the case.
The 17 men and one woman were found guilty of offences including conspiracy to incite prostitution, rape and drugs. During the various trials in the case, the court was told that Northumbria Police also recruited a sex offender, who can only be named as XY, to assist the force with its investigation into child sexual exploitation in Newcastle.
The XY gave evidence to the court, during legal submissions, and made a series of allegations against the police. This also included claims of racism and that he was asked to plant drugs.
Meanwhile, his evidence was rejected by Judge Penny Moreland in its entirety. The evidence was described as “inherently unreliable” and “clearly dishonest” by the judge.
A spokesperson for Parents Against Child Sexual Exploitation (PACE), said: “Sadly we know that child sexual exploitation has been widespread throughout the country and it can affect any child or family. It is good that the perpetrators have finally been brought to justice.”
“There has been immense trauma inflicted on those young people and their families. There will be lessons to be learned,” the spokesperson said.