Yummy Chana Pulao Recipe:- This Chana Pulao is a protein rich tasty one pot meal. It tastes yummy no less than a biryani. It is a hearty and wholesome meal.This is one of the quickest and tasty options when you have less time in hand and a healthy lunch box option too.
- 3/4 cup- Kabuli Chana (White Chickpeas)
- 1 cup- Basmati rice
- 3 -Onion, sliced thinly
- 1 -Tomato, chopped
- 1/2 -Red Bell pepper (Capsicum), chopped
- 2 tablespoons- Yogurt (Curd),
- 2 tablespoons- Oil
- 2 tablespoons- Ghee
- 1 teaspoon -Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon- Garam masala powder
- pinch Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 2 tablespoons- Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
- pinch Saffron strands
- Dry Fruits, assorted.
- 4 tablespoons- Pomegranate seeds
- 1-3/4 cups Water, for pressure cooking rice
- Few Mint Leaves (Pudina), for garnish
- Few Coriander leaves (Dhania) , for garnish
- Salt as required
- 2 -Green cardamom
- 2- Mace a thin strand
- 1- Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 2-3- Cloves
- 1 inch -Cinnamon Stick
- 1/2 teaspoon- Caraway seeds (Ajwain)
- 1 -Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 1/2 inch- Ginger
- 6- cloves Garlic
- 1- Green Chili
1. Rinse and soak the chickpeas/chana overnight or for 8 to 9 hours in enough water and drain them well and then add to the pressure cooker with the water.
2. Add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pressure cook till the cooker 40 min or till the chickpeas are tender and soft and drain the cooked chickpeas/chana and keep them aside.
3. Rinse the rice very well in the water and then soak the rice in enough water for 30 min and strain and keep it aside.
4. Blend ginger, garlic, a little water, and green chili into a smooth paste and keep it aside.
5. Soak saffron in a little lukewarm milk and keep it aside.
6. In a pressure cooker heat oil and add caraway seeds, cardamoms, mace, cinnamon, cloves, and bay leaf and saute the whole garam masala or whole spices for a second till fragrant, and then add sliced onions.
7. Saute the onions until it turns golden brown and add ginger-garlic-chili paste and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
8. Add chopped tomatoes, red bell pepper and saute for two minutes.
9. Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, and garam masala powder.
10. Add the kasoori methi and saute the tomatoes for a minute or so and then add the drained cooked chickpeas and mix it well and saute the entire mixture for about 7-10 minutes and let the chickpeas soak in the masala.
11. Add the basmati rice, curd, saffron threads soaked in milk and again mix everything well.
12. Add 1.75 cups of water and season with salt and pressure cook for 15 min and don't open the cooker.
13. Once the pressure settles down on its own, then open the lid of the cooker and gently mix the rice.
14. Garnish with coriander leaves and mint leaves, dry fruits and pomegranate
15. Serve Chana Pulao with any raita of your choice.