Fire Accident in Maker Tower Apartment in Mumbai, 2 Dead & 11 RescuedOctober 18, 2016 11:48
Two persons died ons pot when a fire broke out in a residential apartment at Cuffe Parade's Maker Chambers on Tuesday morning.
As soon as police got the news, around Eight fire engines, six jumbo tankers and one ambulance were rushed to the spot to douse the flames.
According to preliminary information received from fire officials, "the fire broke out in a residential apartment on the 20th floor in A wing at around 6.30 am early this morning. The flat that was gutted in Maker Tower in Cuffe Parade area in Mumbai belonged to Shekhar Bajaj (MD, Bajaj Electricals)."
Chief Fire officer P Rahangdale said that "there is an internal staircase within the 20th and 21st floor of the high rise."
"The cause of the fire is yet uncertain. Our first aim was to rescue everyone. Unfortunately till the time we reached two persons had already died. About 11 people including women and kids have been rescued," Rahangdale said.
He added "The fire was on 20th & 21st floor duplex residential flat no 201 & 211 of Maker tower A Wing which is connected with internal staircase. The fire was confined to household articles, electric wirings, furniture, false ceiling, etc. on 20th & 21st floor in an area of about 3000 sq.feet each room. Seven persons from room no 201 & 211 and another 7 persons from nearby rooms on same floor were rescued safely. Two males in servant room near the internal stairs died due to burn injuries before arrival of the Brigade and were moved to St George hospital by ambulances."
"The blaze has been brought under control, cooling operations in progress", an official said.
Zonal DCP Manoj Kumar Sharma said that "police personnel were on the spot and busy in controlling the people who gathered there. We will be sending the bodies to St George's Hospital for post mortem. As of now we are going to register an accidental death case. We will wait for the fire brigade's report for further action if they point out whether it was someone's negligence or technical fault. Our next course of action will be as per the fire brigade report."
BY M. DIVYA SRI